I’ve had a couple of experiences recently where I ended up telling myself stories. And if I hadn’t done something specific then I would have totally spiralled.
I’m not going to go into details about what the experiences were, that’s not the important factor here.
What to do if you’re telling yourself stories.
- I didn’t know the full details around an occurrence and because of this I started to tell myself stories.
- I recognised that I was starting to tell myself stories and took a step back to think about why I was doing this and what I could do instead.
- I employed self-mastery and gave myself a little bit of coaching to figure out why I was having these thoughts and what my next steps were.
- I took my next steps and I asked for clarification.
And after I asked the question, I received answers that weren’t at all consistent with the stories I had been making up in my head.
Now I know that this isn’t an email themed around social media, but I think it’s definitely something that we could all be aware of and subscribe to.
- Stop telling yourself stories.
- Ask yourself why you are having these thoughts.
- Ask for clarification.
I guarantee you will be feeling more relieved and less stressed as a result.
PS I heard about the whole telling yourself stories thing from this Brene Brown talk. I thoroughly recommend you watch it because it’s incredibly eye opening.